Living Strong with Laureate Group
Many characteristics we associate with older age, like trouble walking long distances, climbing stairs, or even carrying groceries, are largely due to a lack of physical activity. According to AARP, 40 percent of people between 45 and 64 are considered sedentary. For people over 64, that number jumps to 60 percent.
Some people are worried that exercise will cause illness or injury while others fear exercise means they have to do something strenuous, and are worried they are not capable of it. What they do not realize is that they may be more at risk for health conditions, illness, or injury if they don’t exercise.
The benefits of exercise for seniors are tremendous. Due to being at a higher risk for health problems, seniors have much more to gain from exercise than younger people, according to The Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Even moderate physical activity can help seniors increase mental capacity, prevent disease, and improve healing.
Additionally, falling is one of the greatest risks seniors face. And we also know that one of the best ways to minimize that risk is to increase strength, flexibility and balance. So the Laureate Group has partnered with HealthPro/Heritage and Recover Health to develop a program open to all residents: Laureate Living Strong. Just as the name says, we want to help build the strength, health and wellness of every senior at several of our communities.
You will have access to the on-site gym at no additional cost. There’s circuit training with six stations that focus on building strength, flexibility and balance. Therapists are available on site throughout the week to assist in developing an exercise program in line with an individual’s goals.
- Exercise classes are held as often as six days a week
- Some exercise classes will be led by therapists who will incorporate special techniques for older adults
- Therapists will offer special screenings to help identify people that could benefit from therapy - The goal is to keep each person strong, active and living as independent as possible
- Throughout the year, there will be educational and wellness programs presented by HealthPro/Heritage and Recover Health therapists
- If anyone would like a program of customized, one-on-one personal training, that is available at an additional cost
If you are returning from a hospital stay, and your doctor indicates you should continue therapy, you may be able to do so in the comfort of your own apartment, or in the on-site therapy gym. This can be more convenient than going to another location several times a week to access physical, occupational and speech therapy. Older adults can now return home quicker and still receive needed therapies.
- There will be dedicated physical and occupational therapy staff in the gym, people who you get to know you and who will help you advance your therapy goals
- Our therapists will communicate with the discharge planner at the hospital or nursing home, with the goal of returning you home faster
- Most therapies are covered by Medicare Part A and Part B plans, so these services will be available at low, or no cost to you
Therapy schedules are flexible, so you can still attend your favorite outings and activity programs. And families are always welcome to attend your therapy sessions.